[DRAFT] HiveMind Board Report - March 2009
James Carman
2009-03-04 21:26:27 UTC
Here's what I have:

The HiveMind PMC has voted to move HiveMind into the "Attic." Henri
Yandell has graciously offered to take care of presenting HiveMind to
the Attic PMC and the board for inclusion in the Attic.

James Carman
Massimo Lusetti
2009-03-05 08:31:38 UTC
On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 10:26 PM, James Carman
The HiveMind PMC has voted to move HiveMind into the "Attic."  Henri
Yandell has graciously offered to take care of presenting HiveMind to
the Attic PMC and the board for inclusion in the Attic.
James Carman
It has been a good library/framework to work with and served as a
launch pad for next generation IoC but this seems the right decision.

Thanks to all HiveMind developers!

Regards
--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com
Jochen Zimmermann
2009-03-05 09:29:54 UTC
I don't get it ... could some one explain this decision?
There were some discussions on this list about HiveMind.
There was even the effort to do a maintenance release.
I grant you that there was not much reaction to it, but at least the HiveMind PMC should have reacted in some way ... no one cared to answer to even direct questions about help on this topic ...

If you planned this anyway for some reasons you could have explained this in the past instead of encourage further work and then simply stop answering questions ... that's sort of weird, I think :-(

Cheers,
Jochen

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
http://meridio.blogspot.com
Henri Yandell
2009-03-06 03:26:13 UTC
It's a direct reaction to the effort.

Users are trying to put together the release. There is no one in the
project committers to support them. Therefore the project needs to be
moved to the Attic which will have clear instructions and support for
others to fork the project with Apache's blessing. Ideally it's not a
fork but rather a closing down at Apache and a starting up elsewhere
with a new group.

So now that the HiveMind committers have voted for that, the Attic
group will be able to use it as a first use case to put together those
instructions/blessing/steps.

Hope that helps - this is specifically to try to help the situation
where a project has an active user base but no developer base, as with
HiveMind.

Hen
http://meridio.blogspot.com
Jochen Zimmermann
2009-03-06 06:47:56 UTC
Thanks for that explanation - it makes the intention clear now :-)

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 19:26:13 -0800
Post by Jochen Zimmermann
If you planned this anyway for some reasons you could have explained
this in the past instead of encourage further work and then simply stop
answering questions ... that's sort of weird, I think :-(
Post by Jochen Zimmermann
Cheers,
Jochen
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
http://meridio.blogspot.com
Johan Lindquist
2009-03-06 08:46:50 UTC
Hi Henry,

So while the Attic group picks the project up, would you actively be
looking for a group to pick it up, or does a group have to 'announce'
itself to be considered?

Also, for practical things such as patches etc supplied, would these be
available after a closure?

Cheers,

Johan

Raffael Herzog
2009-03-05 14:15:16 UTC
Post by James Carman
The HiveMind PMC has voted to move HiveMind into the "Attic." Henri
Yandell has graciously offered to take care of presenting HiveMind to
the Attic PMC and the board for inclusion in the Attic.
James Carman
That's a pity ... but no surprise, it was only a question of time ... :(

To explain myself, as I am one who at least talked about contributing to
HiveMind, but never did:

What I am using and developing is an extension to HiveMind, a thing, that
would always be a separate project. HiveApp, is I uninspiredly call it, is
in production about 20 times, and that number is growing and will continue
to grow.

I needed some things to be done differently, but those were things that the
majority of "plain HiveMind" users wouldn't care about. This fact makes it
very difficult for me to start contributing to HiveMind itself, because I'm
often looking at things from a different perspective. Where some people
wanted new features, my focus would rather be to open HiveMind to provide
hooks at implementation-level, where I and possibly other people working at
low-level could hook into and extend HiveMind.

As an example: HiveMind is largely designed to run within a web application
server. The way I'm using it, I reverse things: Jetty is running within the
HiveMind container. Therefore, it's very difficult for me to contribute "my
things", as most people don't use HiveMind like that.

In the end, HiveMind is a great piece of code that "just works". One might
actually consider to release HiveMind 3.1416 ... ;)

Cheers,
Raffi
--
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is
no difference, but in practice, there is.

***@raffael.ch · Jabber: ***@raffael.ch
PGP Key 0x5FFDB5DB5D1FF5F4 · http://keyserver.pgp.com